Sumer is Icumen in,
Loudly sing, cuckoo!
Grows the seed and blows the mead,
And springs the wood anew;
A Summer Bank Holiday Barbecue!
The Ox and Moose decided to lay on a beautiful summery Barbecue to enable Castle Coopians celebrate the summer-is-a-coming-in May Bank Holiday. Hurrah! This is what living in a tiny English village is all about! What could be a more convivial way of passing a bank holiday afternoon than chatting with one’s friends and neighbours in the local pub’s garden? Pimms in hand, children and dogs running happily about, delicious scents wafting over from the steaks on the barbecue and the lilac blossom on the trees – what a great recipe for a relaxing village get-together.
Ingredients for the Ox and Moose Village Barbecue:
- A freshly mown beautiful green sward for us all to stand about on and chat together … Tick.
- Tables dotted about the green sward for families to sit at with parasols to give a shade/sun option…. Tick.
- A Bouncy Castle for the little children to jump about on….Tick.
- The Castle Coop Village Barbecue laden with sausages & burgers ready to waft out the requisite delicious summery smells on summery breezes…Tick.
- Countless jugs of wonderful summery Pimms to accompany the scrummy barbecue….Tick.
- The traditional convivial atmosphere of a British village party held outdoors in the sunshine…. Tick.
Revised ingredients for the Ox and Moose Village Barbecue:
- Wellington boots as the Ox and Moose’s beautiful green sward was awash….Tick.
- Umbrellas rather than parasols….Tick.
- A Dripping Bouncy Castle…Tick.
- The Castle Coop Village Barbecue hidden under loads of umbrellas to protect all the sausages and burgers from the driving rain…. Tick.
- Countless cups of hot tea to protect against the chill factor…. Tick.
- The traditional convivial atmosphere of a British village party held outdoors in the rain…. TICK!
&…….. a very good time was had by all!
Summer is Icumen in (revised for our Great British Weather)
Sumer is Icumen in,
Loudly shiver, Brr Brr!
Pours the rain and blows the breeze,
And come our brollies out anew;
Put on your wellies, Squelch, Squelch!
The appalling weather blip going on in Castle Coop at the moment means once again, I am wrapped up in my michelin-man look-alike outfit in a bid to stay warm. I hope you are warmer than I am…
Yours, feeling as if it’s November inside and out,